Kirkland Sneaks Past SoHo

Rally Falls Short

By Mark H. Doctoroff

Someone out of football history once said that playing to a tie was as exciting as kissing your sister on the lips through a screen door. It makes you wonder what he would have thought of a 0-0 deadlock.

That's pretty boring, too.

In House football action yesterday afternoon, Leverett and Currier Houses blanked each other. Nevertheless, each team had its most productive day of the season: neither Leverett nor Currier had met anything but defeats in their previous outings.

Largest Ever

Despite the lack of scoring, the Currier offense--led by the passing of quarterback John Ealy and the rushing of Ronnie Townsend--had little difficulty moving the ball up and down the gridiron. Three times during the contest, Currier found itself only a few yards from the goalline.

"Our team was able to master the drive between the 20s, but it is a mark of a good football team to get into the endzone. That'll be next game," Currier assistant coach Mark Hanson said after the game.

High Hopes

Leverett House, though, was noticeably undermanned. "It is really tough playing a game with only 13 guys," defensive tackle Mike Albert said. "When we have our full squad, we're going to do a helluva lot better."

The Currier defense--guided by Tom Reeves and Sven Gramnerstorf--gave a stellar performance, stymieing the Leverett offense throughout the game.

"I', disappointed with the result," Hanson added. "But I'm pleased with the team effort. Everyone on the squad played hard."

HOUSE FOOTBALL STANDINGS

N.F.L.

Quincy 2-0-0

Winthrop 2-1-0

Dunster Mather 1-1-0

Eliot 1-2-0

Lowell 0-2-0

A.F.L.

Kirkland 2-0-0

South 2-0

Currier 0-1-1

Leverett 0-2-1