Women to March on Pentagon To Protest 'System of Power'

By Margaret M. Groarke

About 6000 women, including more than 100 from Harvard and the Boston area, are expected to march on the Pentagon next week to protest "the system of power and dominance held in place by violence," Kate Cloud, Boston organizer for the march said yesterday.

Women have a special responsibility, to protest militarism because they are "life-givers" and because of "their traditional non-involvement in the military establishment", Sarah B. Stookey '82-3, another organizer said yesterday. "We have not been involved in the decisions that lead to institutionalized violence," she added.

The participants plan discussions, civil-disobedience training and prop-making workshops on Sunday morning, followed by a demonstration at the Air and Space Museum, which houses replicas of atomic bombs, and a night-long vigil at the White House.

Demonstrators will march to the Pentagon Monday; some of the protesters will silently approach the military complex through Arlington Cemetery, while others will carry banners and props across Memorial Bridge. The two groups will meet at the base of the cemetery, where they will "mourn the destructiveness of war." The ceremony will be "theater on a grand scale," Cloud said.