ACLU Defends Student Press, May Sue No. Illinois University

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) may file suit against Northern Illinois University, which threatened to punish three student reporters who faked illnesses when investigating the school's health services, an ACLU attorney said yesterday.

The university last week dropped all charges of misrepresentation and falsifying information, shortly after the ACLU lodged a protest. But the civil liberties group wants a guarantee that the school administration will protect the First Amendment rights of reporters, Harvey Grossman, the ACLU spokesman, said. As of Friday--the ACLU's deadline--the university failed to agree to review the incident, he added.

"If the university maintains that they can apply that rule again, we'll seek a judicial reading as to the constitutionality of the matter." Grossman said.

He said that the university had misused general academic rules by applying them to the protected activity of journalism. "Clearly, university presses are protected by the First Amendment." Grossman added.

Denying that First Amendment rights were at stake, Robert Woggon, the university director of public information, said. "When a student enrolls in an institution, he or she agrees to the rules of that institution. Student journalists go under different rules than do professional reporters." he added.

Phil F. Jurik, managing editor of the newspaper. The Northern Star, urged a revision of the university judicial codes, questioning their constitutionality. The codes "prevent student journalists from doing what outside journalists can do." Jurik said. The students investigating the health services were "reporters first, students second." he added.

The reporters who visited the university clinic complained of nervousness. anxiety and menstrual cramps. According to the reporters, they were given very brief examinations and prescribed a variety of medications, including a tranquilizer and a sleeping pill.

The students' findings have resulted in at least one investigation of the health scvices. authorized by the school administration. The university is "confident of the quality of the service" but wishes to reassure the public, Erickson said.