Tournaments, Tournaments, Tournaments

The Week Ahead

Next Saturday is more than a big day to most of Harvard's winter sports teams--it's the day. Seven varsity teams in five different sports will be in the midst of tournaments on Saturday. The men's squash team travels to Yale for the MISRA Championships, the men's track team is hosting the Heptagonals at the ITT, the wrestling team will be in Princeton, N.J. for the EIWA tournament, the women hoopsters gambol off to UPenn for the Ivies, the women's hockey team hosts the Ivy tournament at Bright Center, the women's squash team travels to Bowdoin for the WISRA Championships and the women's tracksters bus it to Cornell to battle for the Ivy Crown. Whew!

The teams without tournaments for the week will also be playing for some big stakes. The men's hockey team heads for Princeton on Friday to meet the Tigers in a crucial ECAC contest, then must rush on up to the hockey lion's den called Cornell for a Saturday night contest. That's a road trip.

And the Harvard hoopsters will return from some nasty trips (in more ways than one) of their own to the friendly confines of the IAB for last-chance cracks at the very tough Princeton (Friday at 7:30) and UPenn (Saturday at 7:30) squads. While their chances of winning the Ivies now are slim, the hoopsters would sure love to play the spoilers role.

Earlier in the week, the men's squash team meets Yale (Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. on the Hemenway courts) and Dartmouth (Wednesday at 3 p.m. on the courts at Hemenway) to close out the regular Ivy League season. The women's squash team is busy early in the week as well, battling the Big Green at home at 2 p.m. on Tuesday. Even though it's only one match, the team had a tough time with Dartmouth when they met in the Howe Cup tourney three weeks ago, and it should be another nall-biter.

On Wednesday, the wrestlers take on UPenn at UPenn and the women's fencing team meets UPenn at UPenn. On Friday, the men's volleyball team plays at Princeton. Against Princeton.