Spikers Win Pair to Revive Tourney Hopes

By Andrew C. Karp

The men's volleyball team took a giant step towards the Eastern Conference play-offs on Saturday, drowning highly ranked Albany State, 3-2.

The match really shouldn't have gone to five games, because after winning the third frame, 15-3, Harvard jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the fourth.

But Albany battled back, taking the fourth game, 15-12, and tying up the match.

The Crimson again came out steaming in the deciding game, grabbing a 14-10 advantage. But Albany refused to crumble, taking the next three points, and setting the stage for Harvard spiker Jon Tanaka.

After winning back service at 14-13, Tanaka executed what coach Roger Martin called an "incredible shot." Tanaka spiked the ball to the floor on Albany's ten foot line, ending the match.

Co-captain Terry Trumball, the Crimson's big scorer up front, and Tom Houlihan, a junior setter, turned in key efforts.

The victory, combined with a win over New Jersey Tech in non-conference action Saturday, gives Harvard a 2-1 record in the league, 6-2 over-all.

It also revives the Crimson's title hopes as they prepare for their next conference match--at UMass March 12.