Meanwhile

Student Assembly, Social Studies, MATEP, GLAD

Although they could not muster a quorum, Student Assembly members last Sunday met as a committee to lend their qualified support to the changes in College governance proposed in the recently-released Dowling Committee report. Assembly members also called for the abolition of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities--a topic that the Dowling Committee touched upon without making any recommendations. The assembly members agreed to "recognize the effort and compromises that have gone into the report" and to support the proposed changes "as an improvement of the present system."

* * *

The Social Studies concentration is in for some structural changes, including a new rule, which goes into effect next year, requiring that all concentrators take a half-course in statistics. The Faculty Council this week approved the alterations originally suggested in a report by a committee reviewing the concentration, which was presented to Dean Rosovsky last month. Other changes include the creation of at least two half-time tenured professorships in Social Studies, to be held jointly with other departments, and the establishment of several jointly-held junior Faculty positions.

* * *

Harvard's controversial Medical Area Total Energy Plant (MATEP) may soon move one step closer to actually producing some energy. A spokesman for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said this week that the plant will probably receive an exemption from the Clean Air Act, which Gov. Edward J. King requested earlier this year. EPA rules stipulate that the agency monitor potential sources of pollution, but the governor of a state can request a waiver to that regulation for non-profit educational or health institutions like MATEP. Opponents of the plant are unhappy about the possible exemption and promise a battle. If they fail, Harvard will be able to begin installation of the plant's six diesel-powered electric generating units.

* * *

Students trying to raise money for the second annual Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day (GLAD) have run into some problems. Alan Heimert '49, master of Eliot House, this week refused to contribute House discretionary funds to GLAD, and organizers of the event said Heimert's decision could hurt their fund drive. Heimert said he based his decision on a "long-standing policy that Houses don't contribute money to College-wide activities." But some masters did not share Heimert's views. J. Woodland Hastings, master of North House, made a private contribution to GLAD; Robert Kiely, master of Adams House, offered to support a specific event; and Charles W. Dunn, master of Quincy House, promised to try to find money for the event. Heimert said he would investigate University regulations to determine whether other masters' donations might be unauthorized.