Caulkins Blazes to American Record in 400 I.M.

Chappell, Hackett Compete for Gators

By Caroline R. Adams

Tracy Caulkins doesn't know what it's like to be behind.

From the intant she jack-knifed off the starting block last night in the finals of the 400-yard individual medley, the 18-year-old Nashville, Tennessee swimming phenomenon led the field--not stopping until she finished a full 25 yards ahead of everyone else in a new U.S. Open, American, meet and pool record of 4:04.63.

Caulkins' awesome swimming performance was the highlight of the second day of the four-day AAU Swimming Nationals being held at Harvard's Blodgett Pool. While the lanky schoolgirl slowly swam a victory lap on her back, the crowded auditorium rose to its feet, applauding the stellar performance for three long minutes.

Aw Shucks

"I was pretty pleased with my swim--it felt really smooth," Caulkins said in a press conference after the meet. "I don't know what my time would've been in a 50-meter pool, but it might have been close to a world record," she added.

Other record-setting swims last night included former Olympian Jill Sterkel's 1:46.13 in the women's 200-yard freestyle. Swimming against a fast field, Sterkel held off a challenge from American record holder Sippy Woodhead to touch first with a new Blodgett record.

Nineteen-year-old Jesse Vassallo--who set the U.S. Open and American record two weeks ago at the NCAA Championships--won the 400 IM in a relatively slow 4:50.31 to set a new Blodgett standard. Most interesting about the race, however, was the performance by fellow Puerto Rican Ricardo Prado, a 16-year-old, who in his first appearance in the Nationals top eight chased Vassallo to a second-place finish of 3:51.87.

The men's 200 free was won by Florida's David Larson in 1:36.04--just four-tenths shy of Jim Montgomery's 1977 meet record. The race also marked the final 200 free of Harvard co-captain and Olympic silver medalist Bobby Hackett, who is appearing in his last competitive swim meet as a member of Bernal's Gators Swim Club.

Competing in an outside lane, Hackett went out in a fast 47.7 and held on to finish third with a 1:37.1--a time that is within three tenths of a second of his lifetime best. He also led off the Gators' 800 free relay--a team composed of Harvard swimmers Ted Chappell, Larry Countryman and Jack Gauthier--that finished a surprising sixth in the final standings.

Chappell--an Eliot House sophomore--also had an outstanding evening, finishing 11th in the 400 IM with a 3:58.76.

The final events--the men's and women's 800 free relays--provided the most excitement of the evening. Despite Tracy Caulkins' lead-off swim of 1:45.74 for the Nashville Aquatic Club--a time that would have won the 200 free contest earlier in the evening--Nashville fell to third place behind Longhorn Aquatic and the American record-setting time of 7:12.62 by the Mission Viejo Nadadores.

In the men's contest, the lead see-sawed back and forth between Florida Aquatic, Pleasant Hills and Mission Viejo before the Mission squad barely outtouched the others with a 6:31.50.