House Committees May Fund College-Wide Concert April 26

By Kate Orville

The Student Assembly this week asked each House committee to donate $50 toward a free college-wide concert April 26.

Five Houses so far have approved the contribution and the other Houses will reply within the next few days, Kenneth L. Levine '83, co-chairman of the assembly's social committee, said yesterday, adding. "If more than 70 per cent of the Houses pledge, we'll go ahead."

Three local bands, including a Harvard freshman group, will play at the afternoon concert, Bradley A. Lister '82, the assembly committee's other co-chairman said yesterday. The concert will be smaller than last year's featuring Pousette Dart Band, he said, because of difficulties in raising sufficient funds.

No Big Macs

McDonald's, the fast food chain, had considered giving the assembly $20,000 for a large concert if the proceeds went to charity, but budget scheduling difficulties prevented the donation, Lister said, adding, however, that the company may fund the concert next year.

Dean Epps has given permission for the concert to be held in the Quad if the House masters there agree, Lister said.

Organizers chose the Quad as the concert site after University officials refused permission for the triangular yard in front of Kirkland House, Levine said. "We tried to convince Dean Epps that the triangle was dirt, not grass," Lister said, "but he didn't want 1000-3000 people on it."

Ann Wacker, associate master of South House said yesterday that she encourages the assembly to use the Quad, but added that "there may be problems since private homes are closer to the campus than at the River Houses." The other Quad masters were unavailable for comment.

Smaller Budget

The committee will probably need less money than they had originally expected, Levine said, adding that the budget will be "no more than $700."