Netmen Persecute Quakers, Retain Unstained Ivy Record

By Janie Smith

Post-season play is still a possibility for the Harvard men's tennis team, as the Crimson cruised to an 8-1 romp over Pennsylvania Saturday to improve its Ivy record to 3-0.

By sweeping the singles competition, 6-0, the netmen clinched an early victory and robbed the match of any suspense. But even a runaway can be valuable to a squad struggling to gain some momentum, and the afternoon was not devoid of interest.

Most importantly, a trend which plagued the team throughout pre-season competition--the loss of close matches under pressure situations--seems to have been reversed. The welcome novelty of Crimson players starting slow but coming back to win graced the match.

Howard Sands, in the number-one slot, easily controlled the polished play of opponent Murray Robinson to win the match 6-3, 6-3. Sands, after dropping the opening game, adjusted to Robinson's big serving and proceeded to dominate the consistent long volleys that highlighted match play.

Controversy surrounded the match of the number-two players captain Don Pompan and Quaker Eric Riley. Pompan, hanging back and not playing his usual agressive style, dropped the first set 4-6. In the second set the Crimson netman visibly toughened as Rilcy began applying pressure to Pompan's backhand.

But then disagreement over a call ensued. Pompan, down 3-4, was visibly sparked by the controversy as he fought back to win the final point with an overhand slam and the set 6-4. In the third and crucial set, intense volleys and diving saves resulted in a 6-4 victory for Pompan.

The power serving of Adam Beren, in the number-three position, overawed opponent John Berman. Beren easily controlled the match to win 6-0, 6-3.

Number-four player Michael Terner followed Beren's lead as he quickly dispatched of Quaker Oil Hnatiuk 6-1, 6-2. Terner, also started slow, losing the first game, but proceeding to win the next ten.

Erratic shooting by Warren Grossman, number-five player, resulted in a 6-2 loss of the opening set. But it was only a matter of time until Grossman found his rhythm and began forcing the net--a strategy which paid off for the Crimson netman.

Number-six Bob Horne also started slowly, falling behind David Freedman 4-1 in the opening set. But Horne battled back, foreing a tie-breaker to take the set 7-6. Horne continued to improve as he dominated the next set to win the match.

Leading 6-0 at the end of singles competition, coach Dave Fish rearranged the doubles line-up, resting Sands and Pompan while giving Tory Kiam, Peter Smith and Kevin Skelly a chance to see varsity action.