Misquoted

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The quote attributed to me in you April 18th article on a debate of Black leftists was incorrect. The statement in reference to the Klan. "We must smash the hell out of them," was said by Ed Jarvis of the Sparticus League, not me as you article stated.

The issue here is not whether I agree or disagree with the statement, but rather how I and the organization I represent [Communist Workers Party] are portrayed in the media. The tone and style of my remarks in the debate were in stark contrast to my opponents. I tried to be calm and rational, to beat back the anti-communism of the teacher of the course and deal with the issues that were on the minds of the students. Maybe the writer was surprised that a Marxist-Leninist could do that. I tried to destroy the stereotypes about communists. From what was printed in The Crimson the next day it seems my efforts were of no avail. When unable to find something in my presentation that sounded extremist and crazy" the reporter simply found a more "suitable" quote and attributed it to me.

I hope you understand the seriousness of my complaint. The current rise of the "new McCarthyism" is already threatening many intellectuals and workers. I don't need anymore excuses from employers, schools or the police for that matter to harass me. Aaron Estis '80