Thinclads Take Fifth at the Haptagonals

By Daniel S. Benjamin

The men's track team garnered 34 points over the weekend and placed fifth in the Heptagonal while the host Princeton Tigers sped to their first Heps victory since 1938. reaping 71 points on route to the lauels.

The Crimson's performance featured first-place finishes in two events.

In the long jump. Gus Udo delivered a leap only one inch less than last summer's 24 feet. 10 inch flight at the British nationals. Udo now stands closer to Harvard's oldest track and field record--25 feet, 3 inches set 60 years ago in a world record jump by Edward Gourdin--than anyone has in years.

Unwilling to leave his name written only once in the record book's 1981 column. Udo also captured third in the triple jump with a hop, skip and jump of 49 feet, 9 inches.

Predictably, the rest of the gold donated to the Harvard cause was given by Adam Dixon in the 500-meter run. Breaking the tape at 3:45.1. Dixon set a new stadium record but fell shy of the meet record by about one second. Dixon might have contributed additional points to the thinclad tally, but he had to run in a series of preliminary heats which precluded an appearance in the 800-meter run.

Go Joe

The rest of the thinkclad points appeared in the form of a host of third-and fifth-place finishes. In the 100 meters freshman Mark Henry ran a 10.9 and, in a disputed call, won the bronze in his maiden voyage to the Heps. In a slightly longer race. Eric Schuler also took a third, running a strong 14.31 in the 5000 meter.

In the hurdles. Chuck Johnson pushed the Crimson one point further by taking fifth in the 110 meter event, while Kim Stephens nailed third in the 400 meter intermediates.

For Stephens the bronze had to be a light disappointment, since his 52.8 time was a second off the personal record he set last weekend at the GBC's. Had he matched that 51.8 time, set at B.C., he would have eclipsed Princetonian Peter Arduino, who copped the event in 52.0.

Meanwhile, out in the soggy New Jersey marshes, the Crimson hammer throwers followed suit and took third and fifth. Colin Ball sailed his projectile 183 feet for the bronze, and Al Quintero, in his first season hurling for the varsity, reached 159 feet for fifth.

Elsewhere, the Crimson had the satisfaction of setting several personal and one school record, but those marks added nothing to the Harvard score.

In the 1600 meter relay, the quarter of Scott Murrer. Dwayne Jones. Bennet Midlo, and Dave Frim blazed a new University record of 3:15.3 Though the race witnessed Jones's running of a 49.2 quarter in his first appearance at that distance and Frim's blistering 47.7 anchor leg, the Crimson still came up sixth.

Similarly, thinclad javelin specialists Garth Andrade and Joe Bowen threw 205 and 202 feet respectively for new personal records. While teammate Jim Mullen claimed one of his best tosses with a throw of 197 feet. Once again, the competition provided five longer throws to grab the points.