Netmen Destroy Princeton, Psyched for NCAA's

First Triumph Over-Tigers in Six Years

By Janie Smith

For almost two decades, Princeton has stood between the Harvard men's tennis team and the Eastern League title. No matter how much depth, natural ability or luck the Crimson has produced--Princeton has always had a little bit more.

But yesterday, on the Tigers' home turf, the Crimson avenged the years of frustration as it trounced a formidable Princeton squad, 6-3.

The win all but clinches the Eastern League title and its accompanying NCAA berth--the first in Harvard's history.

"It feels different. Very different," senior Bob Horne said after the match that marks the first time in six years that the Crimson has emerged from the perennial contest triumphant.

"I've been waiting for this for four years. It's the greatest moment of any of our lives," echoed an ebullient team captain Don Pompan.

The victory brings the team's undefeated league record to 7-0, leaving only hapless Cornell and Army squads between Harvard and sole position of an Eastern League title, which has eluded the team's grasp for more than 16 years.

The Crimson played superbly, beating the Tigers convincingly--even without the aid of number-three player Adam Beren, absent due to an injured ankle.

The Crimson stole an early 3-0 lead with Robbie Wheeler setting the pace at number-six singles. In less than an hour, Wheeler dispatched Flip Rubin 6-0, 6-2. "The guy's awesome," said a stunned Rubin at the match's end.

Horne, in the number-five slot, ended the final Princeton match of his career with a 6-1, 7-5 rout of John Lowe.

The next two players followed suit, as Warren Grossman grabbed a 6-3, 6-3 win at number four and Michael Terner defeated Steve Finberg in three sets.

The Tigers, however, broke the undefeated records of both Howard Sands and Pompan, at one and two respectively. Contrasting styles of play highlighted the Sands-Leif Sheiras confrontation. Sands' steady serve and volley play proved unequal to Sheiras's flamboyant court manner. The result was a 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 Crimson loss to the NCAA semi-finalist.

Pompan was close to tears after dropping an epic 6-7, 7-5, 7-5 struggle to challenger Adam Coith.

The number-one combo of Sands and Terner decisively beat its Princeton opponents Sheiras and Lowe, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, to clinch the match and victory.

For good measure the number-two duo of Pompan and Grossman beat the team of Cioth and Davis, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3. This was indicative of Crimson improvement over the season since the Cioth-Davis squad had handily beat the same Crimson team earlier in the year.

The inexperience of the number-three doubles team Rob Loud and Rob Whaler proved crucial as the Tigers took the match 7-6, 7-6.

"Sixteen teams go to the NCAAs, and we're one of them," said an awestruck Pompan at the match's end.

Yes, Don. The dynasty's been broken. THE NOTEBOOK: Last weekend three members of the men's tennis team competed in the finals of the Maccabean trials for the U.S. squad.