A Fresh Look

Field Hockey Preview

By George P. Bayliss

Although coach Edie MacAusland thinks she has her strongest lineup since taking the helm of the Harvard field hockey team in 1979, she admits graduation has taken its toll.

The squad can't help but miss center back Chris Sailer and standout link Annie Velie, MacAusland says, as well as striker Sue Field, goalkeeper Betty Ippolito and co-captain Elaine Kellogg.

But the prospects for the coming season excite MacAusland who has had a frustrating two years as Crimson coach. Two returning players--junior Kate Martin, the only first-team All-Ivy player on the squad, and Lili Pew--attended a field hockey development camp over the summer and advanced to the rank of B-camp, just one step below the National Team. In addition, co-captains Sara LeBlond and Maureen Finn also attended development camp, as well as a dozen others.

The team will have its biggest gaps to plug on defense, and MacAusland has recruited accordingly. A big lift should come from Tania Huber, who returns to the sport after time off. Huber, according to Mac Ausland, is a "phenomenal athelete capable of replacing Velie."

Sophomore goalie Juliet Lamont, who shared time last season with Ippolito, also attended camp. Katie Williams, who saw action in the varsity nets two years ago as a freshman, will battle Lamont for the job.

MacAusland expects as many as fifty fresh-men to attempt to win spots on the squad, and she is looking hard at four in particular--Ellen O'Neil, Andrea Minelli, Leslie Carroll and Pat Constantikes.

It seems help from the freshmen is essential if the Crimson are to attain MacAusland's goals of becoming one of the Ivies' top teams and advancing to the EAIAW (Eastern regional) tournamaent. "We ended on a high last year," MacAusland says, referring to the team's performance at last year's tournamaent in Springfield. Seeded last, the stickwomen nearly stunned top-seeded UNH in the first round, losing 2-1 on a Janet Greene tally late in the second half.

MacAusland feels the Wildcats will be back in the Eastern picture, along with Springfield, Yale, Dartmouth and Penn.