Restic Not Talking About Rams Offer

Report Says Crimson Coach May Be Heading Westward

Harvard head football coach Joe Restic refuses to confirm or deny a published report that he has been offered the job of offensive coordinator by the Los Angeles Rams.

"I'm not going to say anything one way or another," Restic said yesterday. "I just got back from Houston and I haven't talked with anyone."

According to a story in Friday's Boston Globe, Rams head coach Ray Malavasi, a close friend of Restic's, offered him the job early last week and the Harvard coach has been considering it since. A week ago, Malavasi fired offensive coordinator Lionel Taylor and four other assistant coaches.

Last year, Restic was reportedly offered a similar position by the Chicago Bears, but he turned it down, electing to remain at Harvard, where he has coached since 1970. Previously, Restic coached the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League, where he met Malavasi.

Restic's combined record in 11 years at Harvard is 59-39-3; this season, the Crimson finished 5-4-1, including a 28-0 loss to Yale.

Recommended Articles

'77 Football Season Gets Off to a Roaring Start
Bill Campbell, Joe Restic's counterpart at Columbia, said, "We're moving new people in." Joe Restic, Bill Campbell's counterpart at Harvard,
So You Say You Can Punt?
"A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!" --Richar III, Act V. sc. v, line 13 It's no secret
Gridders Take On Penn Today
Two standards of success will play in The Stadium this afternoon. On one side of the field is Pennsylvania, undefeated
Restic Rumored in Running for Helm of Jets
Football coach Joe Restic yesterday continued to be the subject of rumors that cast in doubt his status as the
Harvard Says Goodbye to a Football Legend
The first thing you notice about Harvard Coach Joe Restic is The Nose. Large, long, and crooked as a crag,
Brown's Play-Action Foold Dartmouth
Everyone had one question after Harvard's come-from-behind 24-19 win over Dartmouth on Saturday: "What happened to Larry Brown and your