Councilor Duehay To Be IOP Fellow

By William E. McKibben

Francis H. Duehay '55, whose term as mayor of Cambridge ended at the beginning of the month, will have a new title in two weeks--fellow of the Institute of Politics.

Duehay, who served as Dean of Admissions at the School of Education until 1974, will teach a study group on the effects of Reaganomics and Proposition 21/2 on cities in Massachusetts during his spring fellowship.

"I'll use Cambridge as an example, but we'll talk about other places as well," he said. Duehay called the appointment a "tremendous honor" and said he would work at the post "substantially fulltime."

Duehay, who remains city councilor, let word of the appointment out to the public during Monday night's council debate on Harvard's "University Place" plans. He had consulted with the city solicitor, he said, to make sure that voting for the plan was not a conflict of interest since he had taken the IOP post.

"We couldn't be happier he's coming," Nicholas Mitropoulos, director of the IOP, said yesterday.

Citing Duehay's experience fighting Proposition 21/2 and his work with the National League of Cities and the U.S. Conference of Mayors. Mitropoulos said, "it's positive to be building bridges to the community."

Health Hazard

Duehay formed a mayor's committee on Proposition 21/2 to combat the drastic tax cut approved by Bay State voters two years ago.

He said at the time he favored tax reform, but thought that 21/2 would cripple the state's older cities. Since passage of the law, he has voted with other city council members to trim Cambridge's budget and to find alternative sources of revenues, including taxing Harvard and MIT.

After his career at Harvard, Duehay went to Tufts, where he was director of the Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs. He retired from that post more than a year ago so he could be a "full-time mayor."

A veteran of both the city's school committee and council, Duehay is a member of the Cambridge Civic Association, the leading liberal group in the city. He has voted in favor of rent control and restrictions on condominium conversions throughout his council tenure.

The complete list of fellows will be announced next week. IOP officials have already confirmed that feminist Betty Friedan will be among the group.