Boston College to Visit Alexander Bright Tonight

Icemen, After Disappointing Vacation, Go For Two in a Row Against B.C.

By Michael Bass

In The Other Game last year, the Boston College hockey team blew Harvard right out of McHugh Forum, 6-2, capitalizing on a series of Crimson defensive errors and a sloppy Harvard offense.

In The Game, however, the one people remember best, the Beanpot final, the glory and the silver pot both belonged to the Crimson, which bested favored B.C., 2-0, on goals by Bill Larson and Dave Burke and an MVP performance from goaltender Wade Lau. You can bet the Eagles, who stride into the Bright Center to meet the Crimson tonight at 7:30, are among those who haven't forgotten.

The Eagles, who finished second in the East last year with a 13-6-3 record, have struggled so far this season, despite the fact that 22 letterman returned from last year's squad.

Including last Saturday night's 4-2 loss to the University of New Hampshire at Durham, a game which several of the top players missed because of a curfew violation on a previous trip, the Eagles ECAC record stands at 4-3 (8-4 overall). Prior to the UNH game, B.C. saw holiday action in the I Love New York Tournament at Lake Placid, bowing in the opening round to Clarkson, 4-3 in overtime and then pasting Division 2 Plattsburg St., 6-2, in the consolation game.

The Eagles are led by high-flying co-captain and leading scorer Billy O'Dwyer, who has seven goals and 11 assists so far this season. He should be teamed on a line tonight with speedy Lee Blossom (5-6-11), slowed by injuries early on but now back at full flash, and freshman David Livingston (3-5-8).

Harvard's defense will also have to keep watch on forwards Jeff Cowles (5-10-15) and co-captain Gary Sampson (6-7-13), and top defenseman Tom Wright (4-10-14).

Eagle coach Len Ceglarski has played musical nets so far, dividing up the playing time between three goaltenders. Based on statistics, junior Bill Switaj has emerged as the leader, with a 5-0 record (making him 10-0 in his B.C. varsity career) and a 2.56 goals against average.

Last season's main man, junior Bob O'Connor, has struggled so far with a 2-2 record and a 3.81 average. Finally, Doug Ellis a semi-sensation two years ago, is 1-2 and 4.44.

Despite Switaj's fancy record, the smart money says that O'Connor sits between the posts tonight.

Harvard, after a strong start has also been on the downside of late. The team leads the Ivy Division of the ECAC with a 5-3-1 record, but turned in disappointing performances in all three of its games--the final three of an eight-game roadtrip--since classes ended.

First, at Princeton, the team frittered away leads of 3-0 and 4-1, and then wasted four minutes of power play in overtime, finally settling for a 5-5 tie.

After a short Christmas break the team went West, but the offense stayed back East, as the Crimson fell twice to mediocre Western Michigan, 3-1 and 4-2. Two of the three Harvard goals were scored by defensemen.

Blueliner Mark Fusco continues to lead all Crimson scorers with five goals and 15 assists. Fusco is still looking for the goal that will break his tie at 25 with Dick Greeley for most career goals by a Harvard defenseman.

Captain and center Mike Watson (4-11-15), freshman center Scott Fusco (5-7-12) and junior wing Greg Britz (5-7-12) follow the elder Fusco on the scoring chart.

Wade Lau's goals against average is up over three now (3.35), and his save percentage is under 90 (.895), but the senior netminder continues to enjoy his finest year in the Harvard nets.

The worst news for Harvard entering tonight's game is the injury report. Greg Olson continues to suffer from a severe leg bruise and charley horse suffered in the first Western Michigan game, and may or may not see action. In addition, Scott Powers, who scored the decisive goal in a 6-5 overtime win at Porvidence, banged up his ankle two days ago in practice and is definitely out for at least a few more days.