King May Allow Communities To Override Prop 2 1/2 Tax Cuts

Massachusetts Gov. Edward J. King said yesterday he will sign legislation allowing communities to override Proposition 2 1/2, news that met mixed reaction from Cambridge officials.

The law, which King said he will sign barring any unexpected hitches in a final review of the bill, would allow local voters to partially override the cuts mandated by Prop 2 1/2 with a majority vote. If two-thirds voted against 2 1/2 in a referendum, the cuts would be totally overriden.

Even a total override would keep tax revenues from rising, though, councilor David Sullivan said. "It's not as good a bill as some people think. We'd still have to beat inflation," he said.

"It makes it easier for us to mitigate the damage, but not to eliminate it in its entirety," he added.

City manager Robert Healy, who had been awaiting news of the governor's decision early yesterday, said the law is "terrific" and "is sure to make a big difference."

Rough

"I'll have to have three budgets available so the voters can see the impact" of either a rejection, simple majority aproval, or two-thirds backing of the referendum, Healy said.

But he added that the governor's decision "is good news for education in this city, and for public safety."

Under Proposition 2 1/2, approved in the fall of 1980 by Bay State voters, the city must cut its municipal taxation 15 per cent each year until it is only 2 1/2 per cent of the total assessed value of the city's property.