Synchronized Swimmers Highlighted In Aquatic Events at Blodgett Pool

Tracie Ruiz and Candy Costie are the reigning world champion synchronized swimmers. After Christmas, they will begin a pre-Olympic training session that would make most football players cringe.

For three hours last night, however, the two, along with several other Olympic hopefuls, put the thoughts of competition and training behind as they delivered a preview of the aquatic events that will be featured in the 1984 Olympic Games.

The program, held at Blodgett Pool, was presented to help raise funds for the U.S. Olympic program.

Ruiz and Costie, students at Seattle Pacific' University and the University of Arizona, respectively, were clearly the crowd favorites last night.

Performing what Ruiz calls "gymnastics in the water," the two national champions gave the approximately 250 spectators a glimpse of what they might expect in the next summer games, when synchronized swimming will make its debut in the Olympics.

"It's an extremely big move on the part of the Olympic Committee to make synchronized swimming an (Olympic) sport," said Paula Oyer, executive director for the U.S. synchronized team.

"But now that they have, Tracie and Candy certainly have the best chance in the world to win the first gold medal," she added.

Sophomore diving sensation Dunny Watson proved to be another crowd pleaser. He was joined in the exhibition by members of the Harvard swimming, diving and water polo teams.

In between the duet's fantastically-timed acrobatic movements. Watson and several other Harvard divers performed a variety of somersaults, twists and flips.

A seven-minute water polo exhibition by the Crimson team and a medley race featuring the Harvard swimming teams rounded out the evening program.

With over 1200 tickets sold for the event, the U.S. Olympic Committee expected to raise over $10,000, said Joe King, regional coordinate for the Committee.