Nuclear Education A Top Priority, Hiatt Article Says

By Cindy A. Berman

Excessive military spending may cause serious setbacks to the nation's health programs, the Dean of the School of Public Health (SPH) wrote in a recent New England Journal of Medicine.

Writing in the October 2 issue of the prestigious weekly. Howard Hiantt criticized the decrease in funding to the health sector that allocating $1.6 million dollars for defense spending has caused.

The cuts may cause serious setbacks to the nation's immunization, research, and nutrition programs, he wrote.

Hiatt argued that physicians should play an essential role in explaining the effects of military spending on the public. "One of our responsibilities as health advisers is to point out the potential effects on health of today's funding priorities, the article states.

It goes on to say, "The American people should understand the benefits of immunization and improved nutrition for our children, of better health care for the poor, and of health programs for the citizens of Third World countries."

Heart has long been active in decrying the dangers of defense spending. Recently be several on a committee of 35 scientists who met with Pope John Paul It to discuss noclear warfine.

Last winter, Hiatt met with President Reagan to discuss the issue.

In an interview yesterday, Hiatt praised President Bok's recent effort to promote public awareness about nuclear weapons. The University must "lay out various options to the people concerning nuclear weapons," he said.