Art Exhibitions Begin at Fogg and Carpenter

By Mary K. Warren

Two new shows have opened this month at Harvard to tempt the Cambridge area art connoisseur. "Pioneers of Modern Sculpture" appears at the Fogg Museum, and "Designs For Living: Symbolic Communication in African Art." is on view at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts.

"Pioneers of Modern Sculpture" features statues, bests, and drawings by artists such as Rodin--widely regarded as the father of modern sculpture--Degas, and Matisse.

Organized Jeanne L. Wasserman, honorary curator of 19th-and 20th-century sculpture, the show will continue until January 23.

Special

"This exhibit is special because of the high quality of the pieces," said Peter L. Walsh, public relations director for the museum, adding that since the collection is shown so rarely, it may be undergraduates' only chance to see it.

Wasserman said. "This kind of art has very much appeal to the modern eye--it gets the feeling of action and energy."

Visitors to the show seemed to agree with that evaluation.

"The statues are very dramatic, especially the expressions of the faces," said Dante J. Giammarco, a law student at Suffolk University.

"I like the way the artist shows the personalities of the people," said Deborah E. Greenside, a Cambridge resident.

Gregory S. Harper, also a Cambridge resident, said he enjoyed the exhibit because" some of the statues look like they could talk."

Next door on Quincy St. at the Carpenter Center. "Designs for Living" displays an unusual assembly of African art loaned by private collectors from the Boston area.

"Designs For Living" will be at the Carpenter Center until December 20.