Football Notebook

By M. S. K.

Saturday's 24-17 upset of Holy Cross guaranteed the Crimson a winning season, but the trip to Worcester could still prove costly for the co-lvy League leader.

Defensive and Pat Fleming discovered after the game that he had broken his left hand, and the game that he had broken his left hand, and it's possible the injury could keep him out of the Penn and Yale games. If the doctors decide that playing won't cause irreparable damage, they will probably fit. Fleming with a soft cast that would permit him to play but would immobilize his hand.

"They told that if [the fractured bone] dislodges, I'll have to have it operated on, "he said, adding, There are only two games left, so I want to play even if I might have to have an operation later."

Fleming says he can't remember whether the injury occurred during the second or third quarter, and he adds that even though the hand bothered him during the game, he didn't realize it was broken until the doctors examined it later.

* * *

Chevrolet awards two player-of-the-game scholarships--one to an offensive performer and one to a defenseman--after each ABC telecast, and quarterback Don Allard took the offensive honors for his 112-yard rushing effort. Crusader linebacker Harry Flaherty, who came up with Holy Cross's second interception in the first quarter and delivered several key tackles, won the award for defense. Considering the way the Harvard defense performed, one can only assume that either Chevy likes to see the honors divided between the schools or that choosing an outstanding individual performer from the Crimson's defensive ranks was too difficult. Chevy will donate $1000 in the name of the winners to the schools' scholarship funds.