Model U.N.

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We write this letter on behalf of the 100 students who have organized and are presently running the 1982 Harvard Model United Nations (HMUN) Anger was the emotion that hit us upon reading Michael Hirschorn's article "Teenage Diplomats Start Model U.N." (12/10/82). We were not angry that Mr. Hirschorn revealed some delegates who came for parties and "sexual possibilities" we were upset that he failed to credit the majority of delegates who have worked very hard in preparation for the learning experience provided by the conference.

Mr. Hirschorn does note that "most students said they were at the conference mainly for the 'educational experience'." Why does he hide this disclaimer amidst quotes from a few atypical delegates? Both of us were interviewed by Mr. Hirschorn at the conference and noticed his incessant search for the scandalous and juicy. Obviously he was successful.

Perhaps Mr. Hirschorn felt it was his duty to create an exciting article. We are not going to denounce The Crimson generally because of Mr. Hirschorn's chosen style of "journalism." That would be as unfair as Mr. Hirschorn's tainting of the HMUN's image bused on select comments by a few students. We cannot deny that the students he spoke of exist and were properly quoted. We feel it is our duty, however, to give proper credit to those "most students" who Mr. Hirschorn briefly mentioned.

"Most students" at the conference have spent months diligently preparing for the conference. "Most students" attend and participate in their committees. "Most students" will leave the HMUN with a better understanding of the complex world we live in. It is these students who we would like to command and thank properly for making HMUN '82 a success. Paul Michalski   HMUN Public Relations Director   Don Hernandez   Secretary-General