Army Upsets Crimson Thinclads, 79-57

Hands Harvard First Loss of Season

By Becky Hartman

The magic that had surrounded the Harvard men's indoor track team this season disappeared in a cloud of upsets and mediocre performances Saturday at West Point, when Army handed the Crimson its first loss, 79-57.

From the outset of the meet, it was obvious that things were not going to go Harvard's way. Senior jumping star Jimmy Johnson had his worst outing since his freshman year and failed to place in the long jump, giving Army first and third places in the afternoon's first event.

"It was a matter of too many all-nighters and not enough practice," Johnson explained.

Although Co-Captain Gus Udo led a sweep of the triple jump and AI Quintero took first while setting a new personal record in the weight throw, the rest of the field events were almost all Army's. The points they garnered on the field were too much for the Crimson to overcome when the running events began, and an Army sweep of the 1500 certainly did not help Harvard's cause.

The thinclads did pick up some momentum thanks to Steve Ezeji-Okoye's win in the high hurdles and Jay Hudson and Vincent Ho's one-two finish in the dash. But, just when it looked as though the Crimson might be able to make a run at the military academy, bad luck struck again.

While making his move from fourth to third place in the 1000-meter race, sophomore John Perkins threw his shoe. Despite the setback, Perkins finished the race and even managed to finish third.

"I cut in on the guy too soon," Perkins said. "His spike scratched my leg and then took off my shoe. I decided to keep on. I had nothing to lose. It wasn't really painful, just a bit awkward."

The meet was still within reach with just the 3000-meter race and two relays left to run. Harvard had to prevent Army from taking anything but third in the 3000 and winning both relays, but unfortunately Peter Inshofedged out freshman Paul Compares to take second behind Paul McNulty in the 3000. Army iced its victory by taking both relays.

"The momentum of the team collapsed right from the outset," Co-Captain Scott Murrer said. "Our normal stalwarts didn't score and the younger members of the team were upset by Army's early domination."

The thinclads will get a chance to get back on the right track when they return after Christmas break and take on the Huskies in what should be a very tight meet.

Shot Put-1. Army, Musca, 15.04m, 2. Army, Phodse, 3. Army, Plggot; Weight Throw--1. H, Quintero, 17.84m, 2. Army, New some, 3. H, Schuler; High Jump--1. H, Henry, 6 it. 8 in., 2. Army, Champion 3. H, Boyd; Long Jump--1. Army, Kulick 7.1m, 2. H, Udo, 3. Army, Teller; Triple Jump--1. H, Udo, 14.50m, 2. H, Halt, 3. H, Henry; Pole Vault 1. Army, Hawley 15 ft. 6 in 2. Army, Williams, 3.H, Burtile 1500m--1. Army, C. Williams 2. Army, Mozina 3. Army, P. Wilsons; High Hurdice 1. H, EzejiOhoye 3. H, Herbertch; 400m--1. Army, Anderson 2. H, Jones, 3. Army, Babers 500m--1. Army, Maberry, 1:05,06, 2. H, Murrer 3. Army, Mozonica 58m Dash 1000m--1. Army, Huddon, 2:20,38, 2. Army, Locivett; 800m--1. H Bunney, 1:53.24, 2 Army, Kishler, 3 Army, Szoka; 1000m--1. Army, Stewart 2:29.38, 2 Army Ochnier, 3 H Persions 3000m--1 H Mchully McNulty, 8:28.7.2. Army, inshot, 3. H. Gompers; 1600m Relay--1. Army, 3:10.2,2. Harvard, 3.21.3; 3200m Relay--1. Army, 7:47.5.2. Harvard. 3:02.1.