Blue Laws Repeal Bill Passes Senate, Goes to Governor King

Some Business and Labor Groups Support Plan: Church Is Opposed

A bill to repeal the colonial Puritans' blue laws against Sunday retail sales received final approval in the Massachusetts Senate yesterday and went to Gov. Edward J. King.

After a half hour of debate, the Senate voted 19-9 on a roll call to remove the last major vestige of the state's "common day of rest law," dating back to 1791. The House gave final approval last week.

It is the first time the Legislature approved a proposal allowing year-round Sunday sales by retail stores. Liquor stores would still be prohibited from opening.

King, through spokesman, has said he hasn't made up his mind on the issue, but he said last week that "philosophically, I am opposed."

Several business groups and, for the first time, labor support the repeal; church groups are strongly opposed.

"I think he may very well decide to veto this measure," Sen. Edward P. Kirby, (R-Whitman), said, arguing against the change.

Jobs

"It is archaic and restrictive on the economic activity of the commonwealth," Rep. Martin Reilly (D-Springfield) said of Sunday closings. He said the change will bring 15,000 jobs and $44 million in tax revenue.

Kirby conceded supporters' arguments of more jobs and money for stores, but he said, "At what cost do we do these things?

"I say this is the cost we pay: It will be at the cost of a custom that has prevailed in this commonwealth for many years. It's much more than a 'blue law.' It represents a custom... This is not some blue-nosed, blue-stocking Yankee thing."

Kirby and Sen. Paul Harold (D-Quincy) represent the area served by the South Shore Chamber of Commerce, one of the only business groups to publicly oppose repeal.

Harold argued the change will hurt down towns, whose stores will not be able to coordinate Sunday openings like shopping malls can. The money in sales gained by the malls will be lost by downtown retailers, he said.

Kirby called the labor protections built into the bill "fraudulent."

"How many employees will have the courage to say no to employers about Sunday work," he said.

Bill

Under the bill, larger retail stores will be banned from opening before noon, but drug-stores and small convenience stores, which presently can open all day Sunday, can continue to do so.

Labor reversed its opposition to Sunday sales, citing protections in the bill. The bill mandates stores with seven or more employees pay time and a half for Sunday work and makes it an unfair labor practice to harass employees who don't volunteer to work that day.

Church groups opposed to the change include the Lord Day's League of New England, a group formed in 1895 to champion Sunday as a day of rest and worship.

In 1977, the Legislature allowed retail sales on the four Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas.