Currier Plans 12-Hour Dance Marathon

Although they won't have to contact the Guiness brothers about a new world record, a group of Currier House students will sponsor a dance marathon next semester to benefit the residents of a Cambridge housing project.

The 12-hour event--which will fall 24 weeks, four days and 12 hours short of the current record--is scheduled to being at 1 p.m. February 19. Also, WHRB plans to broadcast live coverage of the dancing.

The marathon is part of a larger public service project that pairs Currier with the Jefferson Park housing project, located on Rindge Ave. in North Cambridge. About 75 Currier residents have been tutoring and counseling children from the project since September.

"We are trying to coordinate the abilities of Harvard students with the needs of the low-income community," Marathon Chairman Elizabeth Goodman '84 explained yesterday.

Organizers hope to attract about 400 dancers from the University and Cambridge. Their goal is to raise $10,000 from pledges solicited by the participants.

Proceeds from the event will go to a neighborhood center at Jefferson Park, Goodman said.

Currier residents contacted yesterday supported the event. "Dancing will be therapeutic to rid me of all the tensions left from reading period," explained Richard A. Bennett '85.