Deadly Dirt

National

TIMES BEACH, Mo, --Workers in white plastic suits with black gas masks walked the streets of the small town yesterday looking for traces of deadly down in dirt that kids have played in for the post 10 years.

"You don't use guys who look like they're from outer space come into town every day," said resident Donnu Winebough. "I don't think it's out there At least. I hope it's not."

Diokin, a chemical hyproduct, is one of the most lotic man-made substance--far dead-her than strychnine or cyanide

Environmental Protection Agency workers began testing along the roadsides of this town about 25 miles southwest of St Lours this week after learning that Russell Bliss, an Ellosville waste hauler, was hured in 1972 73 to spray city streets with oil to control dust

Bloss is known to have sprayed oil contaninated with dioxin in several Jefferson County horse arenas in the early 1970s Horses, birds and small animals later died in those areas. Bloss did not know the oil, obtained from a chemical company, contained the porson