Icemen Power Past B.U., 10-3

Scott Fusco Notches Hat Trick

By Michael Bass

Last night the Boston University hockey team entered Allston's newest and most dangerous redlight district, and the Terriers escaped with little more than their lives.

For at the Alexander Bright Hockey Center, from now on to be known as Combat Zone II, there lurks a high-powered gang known as the Harvard hockey team. And right now, this collection of speedsters can turn on the red lights like nobody else in the East.

Led by a power play hat trick from sophomore center Scoit Fuscu, the Crimson icemen burned out the bulbs and burned up the Terriers, 10-3, before 2350 spectators at Bright.

The win, Harvard's largest against B.U. since a 10-3 shellacking delivered during the 62-63 season raised the Crimson's ECAC record to 6-3-0, second best in the conference to Providence's unhlenished 4-0. The Terriers fell to 1-3 in EAAC play.

Action

In addition to Fusco's triple, which boosted his team-leading totals to six goals and nine points the Crimson got two goals from senior wing Greg Britz and 34 saves from freshmen goaltender Grant Blair, who notched his second consecutive win.

Four of the Crimson's goals--including its first three tallies--came on power plays [Shayne Kukulowiez had the other]. A fifth was a Shorthanded score by Greg Chalners, the icemen's fourth man-down goal in three games. While the latter is an impressive statistic, it's the power play that has the team excited.

"It used to be that teams took a penallty [against Harvard] and said, Big deal," Said senior defenseman Mark Fusco, who scored his third goal of the season in a five-on-five situation. "We couldn't score on the power play. We were young and we didn't have much poise. Now we're just pumping emhome."

Unlike in past years, when the icemen tended to freeze the pack if things didn't go as planned during man-advantage situations this season's team easily adjusts to its opponent penalty-killing methods.

"If they don't give us a setup," Said Scott Fusco, "we just freelance. Someone goes to an open area and if the puck's there they score."

"That's why the power play's better," added Scott, who was named the game's first star. "It's good when you have the freedom to be creative and can take advantage of situations."

"That's what materity will do for you." said a becoming Coach Billy Cleary. "Greg [Olson] and Jimmy [Turner] and Scotty [Fusen] can throw that pock around so well. They can throw that pack around so well. They can improvise. Now if the other team overplays, we know enough to work around it."

The icemen knew more than enough. After the Terriers took an early 1-0 lead, the Crimeom scored four straight goals.

Kakulowicz took a Dave Burke crossing pass as he slid across in front of the B. U.net and flicked the pock over netminder. Bob Barieh's outstretched leg to the score at 8:08.

Scott Fusco tallied twice in a row, on a pretty give-and-go with turner at 16:22 of the first, and at 5:53 of the second slanza. Four more goals in the middle period (Harvard's second five-goal period of the season), finished off the Terriers.

BU. Marshal (LaGarde) 5.38; H. Kuklowicz (Burke, Code) 8:06; H. S Fusco (Turner) 16:22; H. S. Fusco (G. Olson. Code) 5:53;H. M. Fusco (unassisted) 10:42; BU. Daring (Connoly, Mutchi) 12:51; H. Britz (Visone, Falcom) 13:06; H, Startuck (Buscon) 17:03; H. Chairmans (Turner) 19:14, H. Britz (Falcone, Visone) 3:27;BU VanCamp (unassisted) 6:26;H, North (M. Olson) 11:35; H. S Fusco (M Fusco Kwong) 13:33.

Saves--Bu Barich 15 Daskalakes 4:H Blair 34 Attendence 2350./ At Bright Center   BU  1  1  1--3   Harvard  2  5  3--10