Icewomen Trounce U.Conn, 8-1, Await Big Showdown Saturday

By Jefery Zucker

In last week's season-opening win over Dartmouth, the Harvard women's hockey team prevailed despite managing only 14 shorts on goal So when the icewomen traveled to the University of Connecticut last night, they hoped to keep the Husky goalse busy.

Early-in the game, the Crimson showed they would provide plenty of work for UConn's Lauren Fuchs. Harvard turned the match into an offensive free-for-all, finding 47 shots en route to an 8-1 win the in which eight different skaters scored for the Crimson.

"Against Dartmouth, we had a lot of different people out on the ice, but couldn't manage too many shots," Assistant Coach Bill McDonald said after the game. "So the objective against Connecticut was to just keep some pressure on their goalie, and we obviously succeeded."

The impressive victory raised the Crimson's recorded to 2-0 and set the stage for Saturday's early-season showdown with defending Ivy League Champion Princeton. The Tigers, currently ranked fifth in the East (Harvard is sixth), defeated the icewomen 6-2 in last year's Ivy champoinship game.

"It'll be a real test for us," said McDonald. "But you've got to beat the good teams if you want to go places."

The Crimson clearly dominated play last night, scoring three quick first period goals and shutting down the UConn offense to just seven shots.

Harvard center Laz Ward led the early attack, taking a pass from Megan Berthold at the top of the circle and slamming the puck past Fuchs, just 2:36 into the first period.

Sue Newell contributed the second goal three minutes later on a quick slapshot from in front of the Husky goal. Ward then set up Diane Hurtey for Harvard's third goal at 643 of the first.

UConn managed its only score at 12:16 of the first when Lisa Diamadio slipped the puck past the outstretched stick of Crimson goalie Cherryl Tate.

Despite 10 shots on goal in the second period, the Crimson scored only once-when Deb Talk took the puck after a faceoff and put it by Fuchs with 6:38 remaining.

Jennifer White, Genie Simmons, Cathy Carroll and Kristy Anastasio each added a goal in the final period as the Crimson matched last year's 8-1 score against the Huskies.