Two Students Win Rhodes Scholarships

By Siddhartha Mazumdar

A Lowell House senior and a second year graduate student in Economics will spend the next two years in Oxford. England as recipients of prestigious Rhodes Scholarships

Timothy Endicott 83 and Andrew Nevin were selected last week as the two Rhodes winners from Ontano, Canada, after a weekend of interviews taking place in Toronto.

Counting Laurence S Grafstein '82, a Toronto native now studying politics at Oxford, three of the past four Ontario Rhodes winners have been Harvard students

American Awards Forthcoming.

More than 30 nations award Rhodes scholarships, each according to its own schedule American Rhodes winners will be announced at the end of the month, after interviews next week

Endscott, who is concentrating in Classics combined with English, said yesterday the interviews was less gruelling than he had expected. "The questions were not hard at all They were about things I was doing for the most part, and about my career."

At Oxford, Endicott said, he intends to work towards a masters degree in classics or comparative philology and eventually attend a Canadian law school

The Rhodes committee makes a point of looking for commitment to Canada in its interviews. Endicott said, adding that he views study at Oxford as a preparation for a law career in his native country

Endiscott is currently co-captain of the Harvard rugby team and a member of the Christain Fellowship.

Nevin, who graduated from the College of Western Ontario in 1979, could not be reached for comment yesterday.