Talented Tigers Chill Icewomen, 8-2

Hand Crimson First Loss

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

In last year's Ivy League championship game. Princeton notched three power-play goals en-route to its 6-2 win over the Harvard women's ice hockey team.

The Tigers used the same script Saturday--capitalizing on four power-play goals within five minutes in the second period--to hand the Crimson an 8-2 loss at Baker Rink in Princeton, N J.

Harvard proved unable to stop the explosive Tiger squad, which dealth the Crimson its first defeat of the year. The icewomen's record fell to 2-1 (1-1 in the Ivies), while Princeton upped its to an identical 2-1 (1-0 in the Ivies).

"We just committed too many penalties, and they converted them into scores." Harvard Assistant Coach Bill MacDonald said "After they scored those four goals in the second period it was already over."

Ranked first in the Ivy League and fifth in the East. Princeton jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead within the game's first three minutes. "They came out like a team that had been playing together for an entire season, instead of one that has played only two games," Mac-Donald added.

But the Crimson then used a steady passing game to slow the tempo, scoring its first goal at 13-40 of the opening period.

Senior wing Diane Hurley cut the score to 2-1 when she took the puck up the left side and slammed it into the back of the Princeton net.

The Crimson continued to control the puck holding the Tigers scoreless for more than 20 minute--but was unable to manage another score until Alex Lightfoot took a pass from Jennifer White and slid it past the Tiger goalie. The power-play tally, at 8:12 of the second, evened the game at two goals apiece.

"We were playing them pretty evenly and looked like we were coming back," Mac-Donald said.

After several Harvard penalties, however, the Tigers put the game out of reach in just five minutes. Kelly O'Dell and Syrena Carlbom (who had a hat trick off Crimson goalie Chery (Tate) slammed in four powerplay goals between the 10:20 and 15:39 marks of the second period.

Princeton, which out shot Harvard 31-13, completed the scoring with two quick tallies in the final period. The goals--just seventeen seconds apart--assured the Tigers of their first Ivy win of the year.

"They've already hit their stride," Mac-Donald said. "We need a little more game work and we'll be all right. But we'll be back."

"With three games this week, there'll be no time to think about what happened," he added.

THE NOTEBOOK: After three games on the road, the icewomen will make their home debut tomorrow against Boston University. Game time has been changed to 4 p.m.