Wilson Gives Biology Lecture, Urges New Conservation Ethic

By Joanna R. Handelman

Most of the audience that attended E.O. Wilson's lecture last night expected the Baird Professor of Science to discuss his controversial theories of sociobiology. But the crowd of about 100 shrank quickly when Wilson announced that he would speak only about biology.

The lecture, "The Magic Well: Biology and Values," provided a peaceful contrast with Wilson's presentations on sociobiology, which during the past several years have drawn protesters, television cameras, and crowds that more than filled Science Center halls B and C.

April Fool

"I fooled them," Wilson quipped after last night's lecture, in which he gave an anecdotal description of the role of a biologist which, as an entymologist, he considers his prime academic pursuit.

In presenting his personal "biological vision," Wilson described his experiences in the rain forests of the Amazon to illustrate his amazement at the diversity of nature.

Wilson called for a more objective conservation ethic based on a scientific appreciation for the diversity in nature. He expressed the hope that knowledge of the "endless magic well" of nature would lead to a sound conservation movement.

Wilson's lecture was the first in a series on humanism sponsored by the American Humanist Association. He received the Distinguished Service Award from the group last June.

After the lecture Wilson said he plans to publish later this year a book culminating his pioneering work is sociobiology, entitled "Prometheus Fire."