A Rainbow After the Storm

John the Rippey

By John Rippey

Before this squash season began, coach Dave Fish talked of the dual nature of his team's priorities for the season. Asked which national title was more important to him, the championship based on year long dual match records, or the season-ending intercollegiate six-man tournament, he smilingly chose "whichever one we win."

Well, after Saturday's loss to Princeton, one of them's gone. The Tigers are likely to roll through the rest of their schedule undefeated. And though you'd have to say the Crimson is still smarting, the team gives every sign of bouncing back strong.

"On the surface it was incredibly disappointing," said Fish the day after the defeat. "But I'm just so pleased with what the team did."

What they did was come within a three-wall bounce of beating one of the strongest squash teams put together since balls became hollow. Princeton's strength didn't dawn on anybody until Saturday's pairings took the court, but in retrospect, it's hard to believe we didn't notice earlier. (Fish probably had an inkling of the Tigers edge, wisely electing not to share it with his team.)

Princeton packed a number-eight man who played five spots higher last year on a national championship team, a number-three with a number-two national junior ranking, and a number-seven with a number-three national junior ranking, and so on does through the lineup.

"These guys (Harvard) are together, a really close-knit bunch," said Fish. Anyone following the team can't help but admire the rapport they've fostered.

Captains Chip Robie and Mitch Reese contacted every member of the team after Saturday's loss for consolation and reinforcement, and perhaps the most significant emotion the match reinforced was a sense of community A victory celebration would have been nice, but may be togetherness is better.

On the other hand how does it feel to hold yourself singly responsible for the biggest loss of the season? Circumstances--luck of scheduling, a contentious opponent--led to Spencer Brog's competing against Rich Zabel with all of the other matches off the court and the score tied 4-4.

People packed in the gallery, faces strained from every angle to glimpse the court. Teammates yelled exhortations and strategy, and friends kept saying things like. "I can't believe this." Despite all the drama, Brog demonstrated composure both before and after the match.

Fearful of triggering an embarrassing situation, people still hesitate to mention the match to him. But it's clear Brog has things square in his head:

"Everyone recognized this as the match that would decide the season, and it's disappointing. There's always a tendency to make excuses for why you lose; there are none. But the season doesn't end with one match. We can't make it a perfect season, but to finish by winning the intercollegiates is damn respectable.

"Everyone one the team trained very hard all season I was upset I lost personally, but more than that I felt I lot the team down, that I let Chip and Mitch down.

"I felt especially bad in letting Dave down He worked to hard this year, but more than that he's by far the best coach in squash. The blame shouldn't be placed on his coaching.

"It's got to be put on the sophomores and juniors who lost the match. There's something to be learned is every loss.