Racquetwomen Squash Weak Wellesley Squad, 7-0

By Marco L. Quazzo

The advantage of following the Harvard women's squash team is that it often requires only a short study break to catch all the action for a given match. Take yesterday's contest, or lack of it, at Hemenway.

Matched against a vastly inferior Wellesley team, the racquetwomen put on an exhibition that was over almost before it began as they rolled to a routine 7-0 demolition of their cross-town rivals. The victory ended the team's one-game losing streak--courtesy of their 5-4 loss to Princeton--and upped their season record to a near-impeccable 11-1.

Leading the charge for Harvard was, well, the whole team minus injured captain Courtney Stimpson. None of the Crimson regulars relinquished a game to their opponents and only twice did a Wellesley player reach double figures in an individual game.

Sophomore Josie Iselin, in her varsity debut, filled in admirably for the sidelined Stimpson by racking up a lopsided 15-6, 15-7, 15-7 win in the seventh position.

Meanwhile, Harvard's Laura Kaye and Mary Hulbert finished one-two in the battle for least points given up, with Kaye surrendering 11 points and Hulbert 13 over the course of straight-game victories.

The Crimson landslide came as no surprise to the home team, since Wellesley's squad boasted only two returning letter-winners. Moreover, in the Howe Cup championships two weekends ago in New Haven, Wellesley finished in the middle of Division C while the racquetwomen copped top honors in Division A.

"We weren't expecting them to be that strong, but after the Princeton upset it was a good ego-booster to prepare us for Yale," number-four Lisa Harrison said after the match.

The Crimson travel to New Haven to face the Elis on Saturday, hoping to repeat their 7-0 sweep 10 days ago in the Howe Cup. Yale finished fourth in that tournament.

THE NOTEBOOK: Out with a shoulder injury, Courtney Stimpson should be back in action in the near future, in time for the Penn match a week from Saturday if not for the contest at Yale this weekend... Sukie Magraw, Wellesley's third-year coach, is a 1977 graduate of Radcliffe... Walking away with the price for understatement of the day was Harvard coach Jack Marnaby. "I think Wellesley is inexperienced compared to us," he said during yesterday's match. None of the players from Wellesley competed in high school, while the Crimson's line-up is filled with former top-ranked prep schoolers... In a contest that should be less of a mismatch, the Harvard J.V.'s will play this same Wellesley team on Monday.