Mandelbaum, Possibly Odell, To Leave Gov Department

By Jennifer E. Lim

At least one and perhaps two Government professors who teach some of the department's most popular courses will be forced to leave after this term, possibly weakening the department in the subfield of International Relations, John D. Montgomery, department chairman, said yesterday.

The contracts of assistant professors Michael E. Mandelbaum and John S. Odell expire after this year, Montgomery said. Mundelbaum, who specialist in international security, and Odell, whose specializes is International political economy, are among the instructors who lead Historical Studies A-12. "International Conflicts in the Modern World."

Mandelbaum is definitely leaving because he has been at Harvard the maximum eight years allowed for junior faculty members, Montgomery said.

Odell, however, has not reached the eight- year maximum because his contract was for less than eight years. Montgomery added, saying, "We may be able to do something about keeping him."

"We're just hoping and keeping our fingers crossed." Montgomery said, declining to comment further on what he termed a "delicate matter."

Mandelbaum said he was unsure of his plans, adding that he has received several teaching offers, Odell was not a available for comment.

Montgomery said that no senior faculty positions will be available for positions will be available for international relations this year, adding that when a slot does open up is one or two years "We'll certainly want to consider those two." Although the international relations subfield currently has only one junior faculty position available to replace the two being vacated. Montgomery said he has "cooked up a scheme that will hopefully give us one-and-a-half appointments rather than just one."

Montgomery added that "It's still to be negotiated" with Dean Rosovsky, who determines the number of junior faculty appointments within each department. Rosovsky was unavailable for comment.

"International Relations is a field we've covered very well in the past and we want to keep our eminence here." Montgomery said, adding "I have a good feeling we'll be able to pull it off."