University Selects Plan to Renovate Aging Sever Hall

The University last month selected the design for the proposed $6 million renovation of Sever Hall, considered--according to a recent survey of the Faculty--by far the worst College building for holding classes.

The New York architectural firm of Prentice, Chan, and Ohlausen is developing plans for the rehabilitation which emphasize restoring Sever as well-equipped classroom building.

Richard G. Leahy associate dean of the Faculty said yesterday that the proposed renovation is still "strictly in a planning stage" because President Bok and the Corporation have not yet authorized the actual construction although they have approved the adoption of preliminary plans.

Construction could begin as early as this summer, Leahy said, and the renovation could be completed by September 1983.

During construction Sever will be closed Leahy said, and University officials are already working on finding alternatives sites for the displaced courses.

Majorie Hoog, an architect working on the project said that acoustical and mechanical system will be repaired and the interior will be restructured to allow for additional classroom space according to current plans.

The basement and fourth floor will be totally restored to more fully accommodate the department of Visual and Environmental Studies, she said.

Despite the massive interior renovation on the 102-year-old building, Hoog said the exterior of the building will remain unchanged except for maintenance work on the stone facade.

The original design for Sever hall was drawn by H.H. Richardson in 1878.