Dartmouth Women Keep Hoop Title

Harvard Drives Past Cornell, Beaten by Princeton

By Andy Doctoroff

Yesterday afternoon final round of the Ivy League women basketball tournament was the last game of its kind

Fans will probably see thrilling contests similar to Dartmouth's 68-64 win over Penn and someday an Ivy player may break the records set by tournament MVP Gail Koziara of the Big Green.

But beginning next year, the Ivies will drop their season-ending jamboree, and the Crimson, losers to Princeton yesterday and sixth place finishers overall, will close down the fourth-floor IAB basketball court to intercollegiate play

Tournament Kaput

Instead of deciding league standings on the basis of a one-shot tournament, the Ivies will expand their schedules, playing each other twice, and award the championship to the team with the best record.

Big Green Coach Chris Wielgus said that her school--winner of the last three tourneys--"has the most to lose" from the change and expressed sorrow over the end of a tradition.

"It [the tourney] brings all the athletes together, but still, the double-round robin format will have a more consistent, true champion," Wielgue said.

The Crimson, meanwhile, will leave the IAB to the intramural hoop stars when it opens a new basketball stadium in renovated Briggs Cage, adjacent to the Stadium.

Unconcerned about the historic import of yesterday's game, top-seeded Penn jumped to an early lead but fell behind, 20-12, when 6-ft., 3-in. Koziara began hitting from inside, and Ann Deacon swished a series of long-distance jumpers. Powered by Koziara's 18 first half points (26 overall), the Big Green maintained an eight-to-10 point lead and left for half time with a 35-25 advantage.

Dartmouth widened the gap to 14 early in the second stanza, with Koziara and Deacon again leading the way on offense. Playing a conventional combination of zone defenses, the Quakers failed to close lane or challenge Deacon on the perimeter

Penn halted the action with a time out at 14 20 and returned with an offensive surge that clearly surprised the Big Green Junior guard Beth Stegner coordinated the Quaker recovery, scoring 18 points in under 14 minutes with six jumpers and six free throws. Penn tied the game at 64, with 57 seconds left on the clock, but Koziara hit a turn-around jumper, followed by two Deacon free throws, and Dartmouth pushed ahead for the win.

After the game, Wielgus said. "We have a lot of respect for Penn, but we rarely lose a close game. We knew that Penn would come on strong in the second half."

But in the end we kept our composure I knew it we kept control of the ball we wouldn't lose," she added.

Penn emerged as a surprise power in the Ivies this year, and Quaker players emphasized their success over the season after the loss to the Big Green

"Overall, we're disappointed but still pleased," said Stegner. It was the best we had ever done, and looking back on it, we had a really successful season

The 4-21 Crimson dealt the Quakers their only Ivy loss this year a 57-55 upset on December 4

While others were jousting for the gold yesterday, the Crimson lost to Princeton, 75 69, after beating Cornell 67 39, on Saturday

Despite the loss to the Tigers, Harvard's 1 2 tournament showing concluded a frustrating season on a somewhat upbeat note Against Princeton, the Crimson shot a meager 36 per cent from the field but led the Tigers in all other categories, including steals (14-5) and rebounds (39-23).

The victory over Cornell was Harvard's only easy win of the entire season, and Margot Long stood out of a crowd of successful Harvard shooters with 16 points