Mayor Seeks Negotiation In Teachers' Union Lawsuit

In a letter to the Cambridge City Council Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci revealed yesterday that he has called on the city's school department and the Cambridge Teachers' Association (CTA) to settle a lawsuit pending in U.S. District Court "through a negotiated process of mediation."

The CTA filed the suit after the city considered racial and ethnic factors in its lay off of more than 100 teachers last year in an effort to preserve its affirmative action police in the face of Proposition 21/2. The union contends that lay-offs should have been ordered on the basis of seniority.

Vellucci stated that, through negotiations, "perhaps the interests of all concerned, especially the kids, could be advanced by saving hundreds of thousands of dollar that would be spent if the case went to trial."

Roland LaChance, head of the CTA, confirmed last night that attorneys for both groups met Friday, but declined to comment on the meeting's outcome. He added that the city has already spent more than $150,000 on the case.

In other council action last night, Vellucci discovered that health inspectors had not investigated the dining hall at Harvard's Quincy House, despite a council order passed last week to look into the possibility of food poisoning.

An ailment left more than 75 students at the House incapacitated last week but University officials have attributed the illness to a virus.

With health department officials testifying at a council hearing on increasing health fees last night. Vellucci took the opportunity to press for the Quincy House investigation.

City manager Robert W. Healy said the inspection would take place this morning.

At the close of last night's session, Councilor David Sullivan enacted a charter right--a move that ends all debate on an issue for at least one week--on three consecutive late resolutions. Vellucci and Councilor Walter J. Sullivan had each introduced legislation to allow tenants at 36-42 Linnaean St. and 4-6 Washington Ave. to convert their apartments to condominiums without removal permits from the city's rent control board.

David Sullivan also prevented discussion of Councilor Daniel J. Clinton's order to deny city agencies the right to appeal court decisions against Cambridge ordinances without approval of five members of the council.