Spikers Subdue Albany State After Falling 3-2 to Princeton

By Mike Ksobler

For a while yesterday it seemed Harvard Volleyball Coach Mike Palm's worst tears might be realized.

Palm, who worried late last week that underdog Albany State might surprise a tired Crimson squad saw his spikers spot the Great Dance the first game and fall to a 14 13 deficit in the second stanza of yesterday's decision battle. Weary after a five game loss to Princeton Saturday and the long drive to Albany yesterday morning. Harvard faced an imminent threat to its unblemished division record.

But the spikers soon awoke from their sleep, and Palm made an important substitute. With reserve middle blocker Mark Change setting the pace the Crimson raced to 15-3 and 15-7 victories in the next two games to take the match and raise it division mark to 4-0.

Though short for a middle blocker, Chang never allowed the Danes an easy hit. His extraordinary quietness enabled him to position himself well for every block. "He's always always there, Palm said after the match. But Chang starred in the back row, where his passing and defense spearheaded the Crimson effort.

Just as Chang led Harvard form the middle yesterday, middle hitter Jon Ross dominated the offense Saturday against Princeton in the IAB. The centerpiece of the Crimson's last paced game Ross peppered the Tiger court with well placed hits. He was just unstoppable," Palm said.

But while Ross may have been unstoppable Harvard definitely wasn't. The only team to take a match from the Crimson this year the Tigers have now done it twice. The Tigers won the seesaw contest 15-12, 15-1, 12-15, 6-15, 15-10.