Final Workfare Regulations Released

Legislative Leaders Satisfied With Results

The Governor's office released the final version of its "workfare" regulations late last week, and those who opposed the initial draft said yesterday that they were generally pleased with the outcome."

The program, drawn up because of federal budget cuts, is now based on the idea of allowing aid recipients to participate in a voluntary job search and training program.

'It is an agreement that satisfies the concerns of all parties,' said Re. AS. Joseph DeNucci, chairman of the House Human Services committee and one of the leading legislative opponents to King's original plan, put forth last fall. "We're 95 percent in agreement" with the final plan, he added.

The main organization opposing the original plan was the Coalition for Basic Human Needs, an area group, representing welfare recipients. Dale Mitchell, a lobbyist for the Coalition said that while the group has some reservations with the final draft, they are basically in agreement. "We are pleased. This is one of the few instances that [the Governor's office] has been concerned about us."

Mitchell outlined two main areas of concern that the group still has with the program. He cited as unacceptable a provision which would restrict higher education programs by job search requirements, possibly forcing recipients down limited employment tracks. A clause which could require the jobless to participate in an "endless job search" without relief also concerns the coalition, Mitchell said.

But despite the problems with the final draft, the group said it had won a major guarantees that welfare recipients entering the program will least maintain their current income.

Union Busting

The other major force opposing King's initial draft was organized labor, which feared that "workfare" might become a form of union busting. But union leaders said they were pleased with the tentative agreement.

Myra Malec, an aide to DeNucci, modified the office's support for the final regulations, saying that how the department of public Welfare interprets the provisions will determine its ultimate success.

King's first version, drafted last October, required aid recipients with school-age children to find jobs. The Governor wanted the program implemented by January, but that controversial provision along with others prompted several legislators to request negotiations to alter the make-up. The final version of the regulations very closely reflected the agreement reached in those negotiations.

Massachusetts is one of 26 states implementing welfare changes since the Reagan Administration tightened eligibility requirements for the national Aid to Dependent Children program. Statehouse officials say that Massachusetts is further along than any state in developing a program, and they hope it will serve as a model for others.

The regulations, which will affect 50,000 state citizens, will go into effect by April and will be in full force by the end of the summer.