Kennedy School Plans New Curriculum

Core Requirements to Take Effect in Fall

By Benjamin B. Sherwood ii

Kennedy School of Government officials are planning to approve a revamped curriculum for the school which would combine programs in public policy and urban planning for the 1982 1983 term.

The new curriculum of core courses which places added emphasis on quantitative analysis, is the result of a controversial 1980 merger of programs from the K-School and the Graduate School of Design.

"There were two separate programs being run in two separate buildings with two separate legacies, and when they merged, it just didn't make sense to run adjacent programs." Calvin N. Mosley, an assistant dean at the K-School and director of the program in public police, said this week. "We put the best of both programs into one," he added.

Reopening

The administrator said that "the frame and form of the new curriculum is done and will be operative next fall."

The new Master's degree curriculum in Public Policy will require students in the two-year program to meet compulsory core requirements and concentrate in one of several specialized areas, such as criminal justice and international development.

There are a certain set of skills out there, and we feel that the core and concentration requirements will give our students the expertise that the government should deliver," Mosley said.

Calling the new requirements "responsible and creative." Associate Dean Ira A. Jackson '70 said that the faculty had expressed strong approval of the school's new curriculum.

President Bok moved the City and Regional Planning program of the Design School to the K-School in 1980 because the program had shifted over the years toward policy development and away from design Bok also cited a severe lack of space for design students in Gund Hall.

K-School officials initially expressed some hesitation over the prospect of integrating an entire new program at a time when the K-School itself is expanding its offerings. After extended discussions, administrators and faculty members endorsed the addition, making it part of a major expansion, which will include the construction of additional office and classroom space.