Laxmen Set to Go Nowhere

Annual Spring Trip Axed by Logistics; Cornell, Boston College to Come 'A-Callin'

By Becky Hartman and John Rippey

The Harvard rugby club suns in England during spring break; the varsity baseball team recreates in Florida; the men's tennis team basks in the southern California sun, and, traditionally, the men's lacrosse team explores the tropics of the Middle Atlantic states with its annual spring trip.

Even if the Middle Atlantic doesn't seem quite as exotic, the laxmen this year will not get to enjoy the simple pleasures that region of the country does offer. Alas, their trip is no more. A late spring break and scheduling upheavals will keep them grounded in Cambridge next week for the first time in years. But, lest they grow lonely. Cornell will drop by the Business School Saturday, and the laxmen will take short excursions to Chestnut Hill and New Canaan. Conn to play B.C. and UPenn.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Judging from last season's uninspiring spring sojourn to Johns Hopkins. Delaware, and Cornell, which propelled the squad to an early 0-3 record, staying near home may not be such a bad idea. And considering the squad's unsuccessful journey to Baltimore, Md. earlier this season, the idea may be a very good one.

Harvard last Saturday suffered a 19-2 thrashing at the hands of nationally top-ranked Johns Hopkins. But, despite the lopsided score, there were a few bright spots in the Crimson's performance. Sophomore Brian Edmonds played brilliant defense guarding the country's best all-around lacrosse player, attackman Jeff Cook, holding the prolific scorer to three goals. In addition, Tim Pendergast had a superb game in net, turning away over 30 Blue Jay blasts.

Other Business

While the Crimson defense looks strong, the midfield is going to have to move the ball up the field more effectively to give the Crimson a chance to apply more offensive pressure than it did against Hopkins, when they fired a meager 24 shots.

The key to Crimson scoring will be getting the ball to attackmen Norm Forbush, one of the team's all-time leading scorers. Steve Bartenfelder even though he's not 100 percent because of a sprained foot--and Rob Hawley, who scored one of the goals against the Blue Jays.

When perrenial Ivy League champ Cornell arrives in Cambridge, the Big Red will be without goalie Tom Wagner and All-Ivy midfielder Norm Engelke who both graduated last June. Wagner's absence was particularly noticeable in Adelphi's 15-7 victory over Cornell.

Harvard is hoping to take advantage of these losses and avenge last year's disapointing 13-2 defeat which came at the end of a grueling three-game, six-day road trip. Crimson Coach Bob Scalise feels that the key to the game will be the number of possesions. "We've got to win the face-offs, pick up the ground balls, and give our offense the ball." Scalise explained. "We've go to come out early and strong."

B.C. will come into Tuesday's contest sporting an 0-3 record, among the losses a 15-6 dumping by ubiquitous Adelphi. "We always have a difficult beginning of the season," says Eagle Coach Doug Virtue, hearkening back to his team's identical three game losing streak early last season.

The Eagles snapped that one with a 9-7 come from behind victory over Harvard They went 9-2 over the rest of the campaign, and most of the stars are back

Kevin Miller scored live goals in a recent loss against Brown Understandably. Virtue points to his prolific attackman as a prime strength, as well as to goalie Mike Phillips. "He's been amazing so far," said the coach of his third-year keeper. "He kept the first couple games respectable."

When the Crimson travels to New Canaan. It will be the Quakers who are looking for revenge. Harvard gained its first victory of the season last year after an 0-4 start with an 8-5 triumph over' Penn.