South Africa

MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

As a South African academic spending leave at Harvard. I echo the sentiments expressed about divestiture by Minister Keaneth Carstens recently reported in your columns(11/9/83).

I would suggest that economic pressure will find and foremost hurt the rich and the affluent otherwise they would not constantly and consistently protest that it will hurt the Blacks. Such sentiments of concern sound hollow in a society where as Carsten shows people are classified by race and discrimination is a way of life.

The recent overwhelming white support for the constitution indicates that as Helen Suzman put it the constitution safeguards apartheid and not future change. The mentality of many through not all whites is well portrayed in the play "Master Harold and the Boys."

I believe that peaceful change can only come through some economic inconveniences; a pinch in the pocket that everyone will feel will move many to think about real change. Dr. Leila L. Bronner   Asseclate Professor   Witwatersand University Johannesburg SA   Visiting Research Fellow Harvard NELC