Arboretum Employee Killed at Home

Police Have No Leads in Stabbing

By Donald N. Sull

An Arnold Arboretum publicist was stabbed to death early yesterday morning in his apartment at 84 Prescott St., a block away from the Freshman Union.

The body of Carl F. Lobig the editor of the Arboretum's publication Arnoldia and a prominent figure in the Boston arts community, was found at about 2 a.m. yesterday by the apartment building's superintendent.

Donald N. Carlisle, a neighbor of Lobig, said yesterday the he heard a "large noise," coming from Lobig's room somewhere between midnight and 1 a.m. yesterday. Carlisle said he did not investigate the noise because it subsided quickly.

The superintendent, Paul V. Fitzgerald, said yesterday that a tenant on the third floor summoned him at 1:40 a.m. to investigate water that was leaking from Lobig's fourth floor room. Fitzgerald said he opened the door with a pass key about 20 minutes later and found Lobig lying face down on the floor, covered with blood.

Fitzgerald added that he immediately closed the door and went down to his apartment to call the police.

The apartments at 84 Prescott St. are not owned by Harvard University, and the University police department will play no role in the investigation of Lobig's death, Harvard Police Chief Saul L. Chafin said yesterday. Chafin refused to comment further on the incident.

Lobig, who was 32 at the time of his death, worked at the Arnold Arboretum for over a year, but was not well known by his co-workers, Arboretum Director Peter S. Ashton said yesterday. He added that Lobig did not associate with other employees, and was considered a "mystery."

A Cambridge policeman involved in the investigation of the homicide said yesterday that when Lobig's body was found, his room appeared dishevelled but the door did not look as if it had been forced open.

A disarranged room does not necessarily imply a robbery took place at the apartment, because the condition of the room before the incident is not known, the policeman said.

An expensive stereo in the apartment was untouched he added.

The Cambridge Police have no leads in the case, the policeman said.

Robberies Common

Robberies are common at the 84 Prescott apartments, Carlisle said yesterday. He added that his and Lobig's apartments had been burglarized six months ago, and again three weeks ago.

In the previous burglaries, Carlisle said, both his and Lobig's door showed obvious signs of having been tampered with, and six months ago the back door to his room was ripped off the things. A set of Lobig's key may have been stolen in the last burglary, he added.

In addition to his work at the Arboretum. Lobig was a classical music announcer with the Boston radio station. WCRB, and hosted the station's Delta Opera House show on Sunday evenings. Heidi Jones, a spokesman for WCRB said yesterday. The station will dedicate its Sunday evening broadcast of Bizet's opera. The Pearl Fishers to the memory of Lobig, she added.

Lobig was also very active in the Boston branch of the New York-based Pro Musicis Foundation, which sponsors young musicians and provides free concerts for audiences that would otherwise not be exposed to classical music. Eugene Merlet, president of the foundation, said yesterday. "An incredibly diligent and dedicated worker," Lobig was in charge of the foundation's Boston branch, he added.

Lobig organized a benefit concert for the Pro Musicis Foundation, which will take place in Jordan Hall on March 28. Rick McFadden, a spokesman for the New England Conservatory of Music, said yesterday. "Lobig was very active in the arts scene in Boston," he added.

Lobig attended high school in Clarkstown, N.Y., and graduated from Boston University in 1973, where he majored in Philosophy and English.