Sullivan Asks Fire Investigation

By Andrew C. Karp

Concerned about the threat of arson from landlords of rent-controlled apartments seeking to escape Cambridge's tough housing codes, City Councilor David Sullivan yesterday called for a city investigation of a fire Wednesday at 1564 Mass Ave.

"There's some strong circumstantial evidence of foul play here." Sullivan said, adding that the state fire marshall has joined the case, although no proof of arson has yet been found at the historic building.

Sullivan said he is worried that the fire could not a dangerous precedent for other landlords who might be tempted to find a way around the stringent Cambridge regulations on rent-controlled housing.

The five-apartment Mass Ave building, which suffered major damage to its only remaining occupied unit, was covered by the city's "removal" ordinance, which prevents the conversion of rent-controlled housing to other uses.

In addition, the Mass Ave building, known as the Francis Allen House and located near the Cambridge Common, was the first Cambridge structure to be declared a "protected landmark" under an ordinance that also establishes "neighborhood conservation zones."

The landmark and conversion ordinance prohibits the substantial alteration or demolition of buildings without approval from the Cambridge Historical Commission.

Lynn Weissberg, an attorney for the tenant whose apartment was gutted while he was at work Wednesday afternoon said yesterday that only Stanley Dick's unit sustained major damage from the fire.

Weissberg said Dick has not yet decided whether to take legal action against his Land lord Stephen Bell Both Bell and Dick were unavailable for comment yesterday.

"There's been a whole controversy over violations" of the removal ordinance at the Mass Ave. building, Sullivan said.

"The owner tried to claim at one point that the building was not covered under rent contract." Sullivan said, adding that the Middlesex District Court "determined that it was [covered] and in fact that he [Bell] had violated the removal ordinance."

Sullivan stated that Bell may have recently been negotiating with Dick to move out of his apartment. Dick's unit is now "uninhabitable," Sullivan said