The Straus Cup Race

Currier House Leads as Spring Competition Nears

The most important item in the recent Currier House Newsletter reads. "Welcome to Currier's rising sophomores and condolences to the unwise and unfortunate who were sent down to the River What must life be like without the prospect of a Straus Cup?"

The new Currierites, however, need no condolences, for they are experiencing a wave of spirit enthusiasm never felt before in a House north of the Science Center For the first time in the 50-year history of intramural sports a Quad House leads in the race for the coveted Straus Cup--the trophy awarded to the House at the end of the year that has amassed the most points in intramural competition.

With only a tenuous five-point edge on Eliot House as the spring competition nears, though, Currier will have to muster a strong show of force against the traditional strength of the River Houses in crew if they are to finish first for the year.

Sentiment about Currier's showing thus far, nevertheless, is very high. "It's fantastic!" says Currier's athletic secretary. Chip Torsiglier '82, adding, "Currier House has been stepped on in the past, and if we finish first or second it will give us a little pride." Last year, Currier finished 11th out of 12 Houses--barely avoiding the ignominy of last place.

"It's not the lead so much as the leap," says Currier Master Dudley Hershbach '56, "Everybody is getting involved, and I don't think we've forfeited anything this winter because of lack of participants Sometimes we even outnumber the competition two to one."

Hershbach especially praised the performance of senior Kahn, "a scrawny little guy who never wrestled in his life Gosh if he didn't win the 118 lb. class! Without his win, we wouldn't be in first."

Behind Currier (1095 points) and Eliot (1090 points) is Winthrop with 1030 points Kirkland--the leader after the fall events--has plummeted to fourth place, yet remains in contention with 936 points.

Eliot's athletic secretary. Dave Duram '82, underlines the importance of the spring crew events in the final standings, saying. "The special events, the tennis tournament, the track meet, and the baseball round robin will be important, but the House that wins the Cup must hold its own in crew."

Torsiglier admits River House aquatic superiority but says. "Anytime the River House secretaries want to give me night-mares they whisper, 'crew, women's crew. B crew, out then again, our talents lie elsewhere. We'll hold our own in softball and volleyball."

The athletic secretaries interviewed all stressed that Straus competition should be low-key and fun, despite the obvious rivalries between the Houses. "Intramural should be enjoyable," stressed Durum. "But then to keep people waking up at 6 in the morning we've got to keep that Cup in the distance."