Baseball Takes Two From Dartmouth Ends Year Tied For Third in EIBL

By Marco L. Qucazzo

They say the world will end in a whimper, but the Harvard baseball team's season ended with a bang Saturday

After the Crimson nine had eked out a come-from-behind 3-2 win in the first game first baseman Eddie Farrell belted a hanging curve almost 400 feet lot a game winning three-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning of the final game, capping a doubleheader sweep of Dartmouth at Soliers-Field

The double victory pushed the team's final season slate above 500 to 17-16 and litted Harvard into a three way tie for third place in the Eastern League But Harvard was among the favorites to cop the league title at the out set of the season, so Saturday's results fail to salvage what has otherwise been a disappointing season

Singles by Bruce Weller and Brand bauer opened the seventh for the Crimson in the second game The Big Green, however, looked as though it would escape the jam when southpaw Jim Croteau retired both Vinnie Martelli and Donnie Allard the heart of the Crimson batting order without allowing the winning run to advance Farrell's blast then won the game, 5-2

Harvard built a two run lead earlier in the game on singles by Martelli and Farrell in the second and a two-out double by Martelli in the third to score Paul Chicarello, who has walked

Meanwhile, freshman Jeff Musselman stymied Dartmouth until the fifth, when the Big Green strung together three straight hits to narrow the Crimson edge to 2 1 and knock Musselman out of the boy Harvard's Billy Doyle came in and relinquished in RBI single, tying the game, but the veteran held Dartmouth hitless the rest of the way to pick up his fourth win of the year.

Comeback

In the first game. Billy I arson pitched a six hitter but was on the verge of losing when Harvard entered the bottom of the seventh down 2-0.

Having collected only one hit previously (a single by Martelli in the fourth) off Dartmouth starter Steve D'Antonio, the Crimson bats awoke not a moment too soon Martelli, wielding Harvard's bottest bat, again got things going with a single to open the inning. Following a pop out, Chicarello worked D'Antonio for a walk and Farrell loaded the base with a single.

Nip and Tuck

Following a pitching change, Tony DiCesare drilled an RBI-single to set up the key play of the game, a perfectly executed suicide squeeze by Harvard second baseman Gaylord Lyman to tie the game. Pinth hitter Scotty Vierra then won it with a base hit to drive in Farrell

THE NOTEBOOK Larson fanned six and walked none on route to picking up his fifth win, tops on the staff. Defensive Play of the Day goes to right fielder Dannic Allard, who in the sixth inning of the second game made a circus catch in the alley to rob Dartmouth's Pete Davery of a triple Shaken up on the play. Allard stayed in the game anyway. In the statistics department, team captam Chicarello tied the Harvard season record with 12 doubles in 1982. Catcher Vinnine Martelli had an RBI in the nightcap to give him 36 for the year, four short of the Harvard record. The doubleheader sweep was the first, and necessarily the last, for Harvard in EIBL, action this year. Dartmouth, which has a history of poor teams, finishes its year at 8-23-1 over all Final EIBL Standings 1982 1. Navy  13-4-1 2. Cornell  12-6 3. HARVARD  9-9 3. Brown  9-9 3. Pennsylvania  9-9 6. Army  8-10 6. Columbia  8-10 8. Yale  7-9 8. Princeton  7-9 10. Dartmouth  5-12-1