Lightweights Place First at Easterns

Radcliffe Nabs 6th in Heavies

The Radcliffe crews must think they're in show business, because the action only happens when the lights are on. The varsity height weight eight captured first place and the lightweight four took second in yesterday's Eastern Sprints on Lake Wampanaug.

"We were close for about the first 30 strokes and then we started pulling away." Crimson lightweight eight cosswain Ellen Chaffin said after the race. Smith kept within striking distance the length of the 1500 meter course, and the oarswomen never really established a commanding lead.

"We were seven seats up for most of the race." Chaffin explained, "but they [Smith] could have sprinted and won the race."

The Radcliffe boat look a clear led at the 500-meter mark, said Crimson Coach Lisa Hansen, but the women finished with just a "bow to stern" advantage

Radcliffe's heavy weight boats did not fare as well as their lighter counterparts The varsity heavy weights could manage only sixth place, well behind the winning threesome of Princeton. Yale and Boston University

The J V heavyweights had an even worse outing forced to settle for third in the petite or consolation final

The varsity lightweight eight may compete in the collegiate Nationals on Lake Wampanaug in three weeks