...Who'll Be Missed

Pam Stone

When Pam Stone arrived at Harvard from Louisville, Ky., four years ago, she was the women's diving team. But during her four years here. Stone has upon the Crimson program blossom into the strongest in the Ivy League.

The trio of Stone, Adriana Holy, and freshman sensation Jennifer Goldberg swept almost every dual meet they competed in, and all five Harvard divers placed in the top 16 in the Ivy League. Four of Diving Coach John Walker's charges, including Stone, placed in the Easterns.

"It was a nice way to leave," the Kirkland House resident said. "When I came here I was the only female diver and in my final meet there were four of us in the finals."

During her Harvard career. Stone has racked up a number of individual achievements. In her freshman year, the Economics major won the small college national championship, and she took the three-meter Ivy Championship her sophomore and junior years. She was All-Ivy all four years and All-American her freshman year.

Stone has brought a lot more to Harvard women's swim team than just her diving skills, however. She is charming, friendly and extremely popular on the squad. This year she was almost unanimously elected tri-captain along with two swimmers.

She is also one of the most dedicated athletes in the school. Last summer she injured her back when she dove and landed on some concrete--the resulting shoulder injury plagued her throughout the season. Despite this mishap. Stone managed to dive in almost every meet, never once complaining.

When the swimming season ended this year, she traded in her swimsuit for a rugby jersey. "I loved rugby because it was a team sport and I got to work with others more than I did in diving."

Stone does not feel that her athletic activities took away from her time at Harvard but rather enhanced it. "Diving didn't really infringe on any thing and it was a great way to meet people both here and at other schools."

The Economics concentrator is unsure of her future plans. She is considering a career in business and might coach diving on the side, but unfortunately for Harvard, her days of competition are over.