At Reunions, Merrymakers Recall Another Harvard

Harvard's 331st Commencement Third in a series of four articles.

By Michael W. Miller

In front of Eliot House, a short man in a gray jockey was shouting at the Class of '57 and that families in a high, singsong voice. "Hey, do we love Harvard? Yes we do Everybody loves Harvard. Yes, yes, we do! hey, hos about a antenna for your head?"

It was that kind of day yesterday for hundreds of alumni who are tilling Cambridge's street and buildings this week for Harvard's biggest pep rally of the year. No matter what kind of food or parties or crazy vendors with funky headbands they franc into, adoration for the college they attended 25 or 50 years ago was the theme for the day.

"The whole thing is terrific." said Donnie Repetto '57 as he marched in a post-lunch parade from Eliot to the Union with his class mates, then wives and children (many of who were metal spring antennas), and the Harvard Band. "The Todd was superfluous--just being here with everybody is what matters."

He slowed down to let his wife and kids catch up. "The thing is." he explained, any time you get all these people together, it has to be a good tissue. since everyone's here because they want to be here. "Except me." said hissed.

Alot of alumni: talked about the was Harvard had changed since the days they used to go here, and they all cited one big difference. though they found different ways to put of.

The co-ed factor is a big part of what's new around here," said Even Randolph IV '57. "You've got to notice the females being everywhere." Said his classmate Norman H. Schwartz. "Harvard not a macho, male establishment any more. Observed Richard C. Scott '32.

Christos A. Hasiotis '57 walked with his wife in front of Widener Library and addressed the same subject. "Now that it's co-ed here, there sure at lot of nice-looking young ladies, he said, grinning. His wife interrupted. Don't listen to a word he says--he's had eight Bloody Mary's."

"I better watch myself." Hastotis said, glancing around him. But he shook his head and added, I don't know, I've been impressed.

Most graduates agreed that co-education at Harvard was a change for he better, but they had different reasons. "I think it's a major improvement over the semi-monastic lives, we led," said Robert H. Wilbur '57.

Randolph saw it another way. "It looks like they've integrated the men and women in a very positive way," he said. "Students seem to be spending a lot more time working than dating and horsing around, the way we were in '57." "The students do look more intelligent than we were," said Hasiotis. "I remember a lot of us as derelicts hanging out the windows."

when they weren't talking about what the passage of time had done to Harvard, they talked about what it had done to all of them "I'm afraid we've all changed more than we ought to admit," said Scott. "Some of us have gained weight, a lot more of us have lost weight, we've all gone grey."

"If you have hair, that is," his wife chipped in.

S Warner Burchard '82 saw a more philosophical change in his classmates from a half-century ago." "The members of our class speak to each other now we never talked to each other then," he said. Burchard had this recollection of the way the Class of '82 communicated to each other. "In Boston, the people you sat next to in class would say hello to you. If you met them in Paris, they'd sit down and have a drink with you. And if you met them in Vienna, they'd throw their arms around you."

But all day long yesterday, alumni talked to each other, and you could hear snatches of their conversations wherever you went "Wait a minute, didn't you....Yeah that's right....Hey, how about that....Honey, come take a look at this....You would not believe the way this used to be....kids, you thin you'd ever want to...."

Perhaps the most climatic change this reunion revealed row an alumni was the one a convivial Class of '57 member pointed out as he waited outside the Union before an afternoon symposium on free makers. There's been a notable relaxation of the parietal rules, he said. We didn't have these rules last night, that's for sure. I made love for the first time in a Harvard room last night" he laughed loudly "Ill tell you, we didn't keep one foot on the floor either.