Booters Level Engineers In Opener, 3-0

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

It's become a traditional thing: The Harvard men's soccer team comes steaming out of training camp to wallop a less-talented MIT squad in an opening match. Yesterday's game followed the annual blueprint, as the booters used two carry goals to raze the Engineers 3-0 at the Business School field.

Harvard has never had troubling scoring against MIT, and the Crimson attack was not slow to untrack yesterday. Lets than three minutes into the match, Junior Jay Hooper caught his Engineer marker with his slide rule out and used some very fancy footwork to free himself on the left wing. His cross found striker Richard Berkman streaking into the penalty box, and the Long Island native cracked a left-footed half volley into the MIT twines.

Hooper had his hand in Harvard's second goal which came at 20:03. Some aggressive defense by senior halfback Mike Mogollon in the Engineers' half of the pitch sent a ball rolling to Hooper on the now-familiar left end-line. After a quick move toward the goal month, he lunched a lofting pass to forward Lance Ayrault, standing alone on the MIT penalty spot. The Crimson captain sent a header over the arms of Engineer Goalkeeper Bob Schaefer and just under the crossbar for the tally.

Hooper's start on the front line had a huge payoff, but it was a bit suprising. The junior out of Elizabethtown, N.Y. turned strong performances at midfield during rocky times last season and spent some time there in two exhibition games last week.

First-year Coach Jape Shattuak said after the match that he "buik the team from the backline forward. Their midfield was pretty set, but we wanted someplace to take advantage of Jay's skills."

After the Crimson's first-half barrage, no one in the crowd of around 70 seriously questioned the final outcome. The booters biggest headache came from MIT's undisciplined attack. At times, the Engineers sent nine players Into Harvard's half, leaving Berkman and Ayrault with solo defenders. Poor defensive clearing kept the booters from ever capitalizing with counter attacks

But MIT's haphazard play led to the Crimson's final goal of the afternoon. Four minutes into the second half, Sophomore Fullback Martin Sabelli dribbled out of the defense completely unchallenged and blasted a 35-yard rocket that bent the Engineer's crossbar. Ayraut picked up the rebound in a crowded penalty box, but was sandwiched by three MIT defenders. The ball squirted out of the goalmouth pack and a hovering Berkman jammed it into the twines from eight yards.